Wednesday, March 13, 2013

POEM: Rocking Chair


I am a devoted reader of the poems of the late, great Valerie Worth, and though I lack her mastery and grace, I often try to write "small poems" of my own, attempting to give an extraordinary level of imaginative focus to an ordinary object.


Rocking Chair

No easy chair,
This seat befits
A sea captain,
A rolling throne
For sitting
Through catnaps,
Lordly and rapt,
Stirred by swells
And the blows
Of storms,
Adoze, yet
All-aware.
A fine recliner,
It doubles
As a rocker
Knocked together
For landlubbers
Settled like
Ships docked
On becalmed laps
Of mothers, half
Keeping time,
Half asleep.


© 2013 Steven Withrow, all rights reserved

8 comments:

KateCoombs said...

Rock on, Steven!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thank you, Steven, for sharing. (My beloved Valerie Worth book is on my nightstand this week.)

Your poem is terrific!

"Adoze, yet
All-aware" -

exactly, and the last lines are perfect.

Julie Larios said...

My Valerie Worth book is also near my desk as I type this, Robyn! Steven, you have such a finely-tuned sense of sound - I love these lines: "It doubles / As a rocker / Knocked together / for landlubbers...."

Bridget Magee said...

Love your poem, Steven! Worth's books/poetry is such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. =)

Mary Lee said...

Wow. Another Steve -- Steve Peterson at Inside the Dog -- was also inspired by Valerie Worth this week. What are the chances??

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

Brilliant! I have her Small poems book, it's lovely.

Ruth said...

I love this!